Monday, January 9, 2012

Week 1 Update


Week 1:                                                                                                           1/3/2012

Well I’ve been in Nicaragua for one week now.  This has been an extremely challenging week.  I’ve been dropped in the middle of a third world country where I essentially know nothing about the people, their language, and their culture.  I have spent my first 7 days learning as much as I can.  I am studying Spanish for many hours everyday and simply observing as much as possible.  Once I learn the language, my day-to-day life will be much easier.

The family I am staying with is awesome.  I live with Marcia, her four kids, Adolfo, Eveling, Yoiseling, and Karen, her daughter’s boyfriend, Julio and their 2 children, Manuelito and baby Joel.  It’s a lot for now, but all the kids are home from their University in Managua because of summer break.  They go back to school in March.  Julio speaks a little English, so that her been very helpful as well.  I have my on room in their house.  It’s not big and fancy, but it is sufficient for my needs.  I have a mosquito net over my bed, but the bugs still seem to get me.  I have more bug bites than I can count.  Marcia is a great cook, but I’m having to adjust to the food here.  A lot of the time, I have no clue what I am eating.  I’m eating a lot of rice and beans, and am quickly becoming a coffee drinker.

I finally started work yesterday (Monday).  A group from Rutgers University is here, so they were painting in the clinic.  I’m excited to finally be doing something.  I also met most of the people I will be working with.  It’s so relieving meeting people that understand English and can help me with my Spanish.  I’m ready to get into a routine and have a day-to-day schedule. 

So far this has probably been the hardest week of my life.  This is by far the most challenging thing I have ever experienced thus far in my life.  I know God has a perfect plan and has a very specific purpose for me being here.  I struggle often with “why am I here?” and “is this too hard for me?” but I know life will get much easier here. 

This week I am clinging to one Bible verse and one motivational quote from Louie Giglioou to help me through. They say….

“Be joyful always, pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”  1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

“I promise you, no matter what comes in this lifetime, no matter how difficult the road, or how dark the night, I will hold onto you, and I will literally hold you together and carry you through any and every circumstance that comes your way.  That’s the promise of God.”  Louie Giglioou

God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. So glad to be hearing about your life there. I love that verse. That one, and prov 3:5-6 are my life verses. You stay strong and keep trusting in him. He is going to do great things in and through you. can't wait to see what he has in store. Proud of you for being submissive to his calling! :)

    ReplyDelete