Saturday, March 17, 2012

Family Week in Nica!!!


Family Week!!!   (3/3/12 – 3/11/12)

On Saturday morning I took a taxi to Managua Airport to pick up my family.  I was so anxious and excited to see my parents and sister.  Being reunited with them after 9 and a half weeks was awesome.  After they arrived we packed ourselves in a tiny taxi and started the 3 hour journey to Las Salinas and Limon Dos, Nicaragua.  We arrived at Surf Sanctuary right before sunset, so we dropped our bags off in our house and headed straight for the beach.  We watched the sunset and then ate fish and chicken tacos at a restaurant on the beach.
MGA Airport 
MGA Airport (waiting on our taxi)
Our house (Casa Rob) at the Surf Sanctuary
Nica Sunset- Night 1
On Sunday morning I woke up at 6am (like I always do here).  I went and got breakfast and set the table and then went and woke everyone up.  We had family breakfast and then the gifts came flooding in.  I received soooo many birthday gifts and care packages from family and friends back at home. All the cards, snacks, and gifts I received were awesome and I am very thankful for them all.  I think I have enough candy to last me a lifetime.  Thank you soooo much if you sent something for me.  I appreciate it more than you know and will it will help make these last 2 months here easier for me. 
Blessed to have great family and friends that support me! 
Caroline's Vday Card
Representing WellSpring in Nica





















Sunday and Monday was filled with fun, family time.  We hung out at the pool, went to the beach, played cards, ping-pong, and pool, and just enjoyed being together.  I took them to more local restaurants for lunch and dinner.

Lunch at Rancho Santana 



Epic Fail...haha





















Tuesday morning we walked to the beach because Melanie wanted to try out surfing..haha (epic fail).  The waves here are too large and too rough for newbies like us.  Pops and Mel went back to hang out at the pool while Mom and I went on a walk on the beach.  Around lunchtime Mel and I headed to the clinic.  I had to go in to work on my youth group plans and prepare for Session 2.  That night I took the family to Yolanda’s, a local restaurant which serves authentic Nicaraguan food. 

Finally got the hang of it..haha
Playa Santana
Walk on the beach with Mom!
Family Pic with Yolanda
Wednesday was my parents 32nd Wedding Anniversary.  I am very blessed to have loving, Christian parents who are still in love with each other after that many years.  That morning I set us up horse rides through the town and on the beach.  It was an awesome, fun experience to ride horses on the beaches of Nicaragua.  At lunchtime Mel and I headed to the clinic again for Teen group.  We had 14 teenagers come and 15 volunteers from Catholic University of America (Washington D.C.)  It was a large group, but Session 2 of Grupo de Jovenes went great!  That night we went and watched sunset and then ate fish and chicken tacos again.

32 years and going strong!  Blessed!

Thursday was another free day for me.  I didn’t have to go into the clinic after all, so we hung out by the pool and then went and ate pizza on the beach for lunch.  That afternoon I took them to Magnific Rock, which is a huge restaurant, bar, hotel on the clinic of a mountain.  We had desert and drinks and watched sunset from up there.  That night we watched Lion King (El Rey Leon) in Spanish!!!
Watching the surfers  (I love my momma!) 
Family pic at Magnific Rock
Clemson pride!
Sunset with Magnific Rock on the hill 
Friday morning we caught a taxi to Masaya to shop at the local market before making our way to Granada, Nicaragua.  Granada is the oldest city in the Americas that is right on Lake Nicaragua.  We checked into our hotel, Posada San Jose, and then walked to the waterfront and caught a boat ride.  There are over 100 islets in the lake that have houses, monkeys, and other cool things to check out.
Last pic infront of our house at the SS
Market in Masaya



My favorite house...because it has water running under it
(FYI...its my dream to have a house with water running under it)

Saturday we spent the whole day exploring the town.  We went to the Cathedral and Park, which had tons of venders selling all kind of things.  At times it got a little ridiculous with them, but eventually we got use to them.  I also took the family to the market in Granada.  It was an experience that I loved, but most of the family didn’t enjoy as much.  People were packed everywhere and the smell wasn’t that great.  We ate lunch and dinner at restaurants along the cobblestone streets with lots of people and Spanish music all around.


Haggling in the park 



On Sunday, the journey came to an end.  We took a short walk around the park before our taxi arrived.  My parents and sister flew out around 1pm to head back to the states.

I am so blessed to have a loving family that is willing and able to come see me all the way in Nicaragua.  Having them here has been the highlight of my time here and we made so many awesome memories.  I needed this family time to rejuvenate me and help me through the second half of this journey here in Nica.  I can’t wait to be reunited with my whole family in May!

God is Great!  God is Able! God is Faithful!!  Keep the Faith!

God Bless!

4 comments:

  1. Good job Matt! The pictures were great. I think I saw you buying my souvenir for when you come back in May. I almost felt like I was there. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looked great. i am so envious, I can't believe you all rode horses!!!!!
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous! I wish Derek, Caroline and I could have made the trip. We cannot wait to have you home! Counting down the days until you are home again! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVED looking at pictures! I love reading your blogs! You are an amazing person Matt!

    Nichole

    ReplyDelete